Thursday, March 10, 2011

"Speak, LORD, your servant is listening."

Monday December 29 2008
 

Ten minutes before the Church Council Meeting: Part II the phone rang. Area code 989. A familiar prefix, but the caller ID displays a name I don't recognize. "Hello, Erich? This is Pastor *****. I'm calling to inform you that the congregation of St. James in North Branch, Michigan has just extended you the call to serve as their shepherd."

I knew that I was going to get a phone call like that some day. I've been in the ministry for four years. But right then, at that moment, at this particular time of year? Like Samuel, I wasn't expecting God to be calling my name. They always say it happens when you least expect it. Better now than a year ago. Back then I wouldn't have thought twice about taking a call to anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment